Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Inaugural reactions

Many people have asked me if I watched the inauguration yesterday. I answer with a small smile and a proud nod and say yes. It is still a fresh moment to me, and bits of his speech are still playing in the back of my mind. I bought 4 different newspapers today to bring home with Obama on the cover of each one. It's a good day to be an American anywhere you happen to be, but not everyone in the world is in love with Obama.

One resident who is normally very friendly to me just passed by the desk and I was asked once again if I watched the inauguration. I smiled, nodded, said yes, and he said he didn't watch it. He said it in a slightly confrontational way, as if to say, "What do you think of that?" and I said, "Yeah, I know a few people who didn't watch it." And he said, "You understand why, don't you?" "Well, yeah, I suppose, it's not your country." (Which I'd heard from some, and I think it's ignorant because this election will affect the world, but people have their reasons). "Not only that," he said, "Do you know where I'm from? I'm from Russia. Our countries are not allies." He went on to ramble about how it's a superpower that is out to take over the world, and I eventually had to ask which country, Russia or America? And he said "Your country. Don't you think that?" And I carefully said that I think that America holds a place in the world with some responsibilities to step in and help less fortunate countries, but yes there are people in the government who choose to overstep those responsibilities sometimes. Still in an attacking manner, getting a little angry he said "Why? Why does it do that? Why do you think it has a right to do that?" Realizing that the conversation was taking an ugly turn of attacking not only my country but me personally, I said that I don't know, I'm not involved in those meetings, but maybe someday.

Tonight I was talking to my duty manager Eva and told her that I'm more comfortable talking politics with people here than in America. Back home politics is such a touchy issue and people tend to lash out, but here it's more about understanding cultures, not argument. I think that's why this guy made me want to write about what he said, because people aren't normally so hostile.

2 comments:

ah said...

i felt the same way, talking about america and her politics was easier when removed from the homeland. i think you are in a neat spot to see the world react to obama's inauguration. that's one of his biggest pulls: our global appeal.

Kelsey said...

I almost cried when I watched inauguration. :)

In response to your comment on my blog- yes, I will mark on my calendar that you'll be in town in March. And, if the world decides to keep up apart, I swear, swear, SWEAR I will make a road trip up to Omaha to see you. Maybe in April. (I think I'll be getting my wisdom teeth taken out in March, but I'm hoping it's before/after you come)