Monday, December 15, 2008

Sickie.

"Poetry is emotion put into measure. The emotion must come by nature, but the measure can be acquired by art. " Thomas Hardy

Yesterday we went to Brick Lane to wander the Sunday Up Market and Spitalfields Market. I go there often, but this is the first time I noticed on our 205 bus route there an old graveyard with crooked headstones peeping out of a rot-iron fence right off the city street near Finsbury Square. When the red double decker bus stopped at a light, I read the notable people buried there, etched on the outside cement wall. Thomas Hardy was one of them. Thomas Hardy! The man whose words I had to nearly memorize in 10th grade English, hidden away in a graveyard no one cares to notice. It was a rather depressing realization to see a man of such passion and inspiration to rest in a graveyard so forgotten.

I wasn't in the best mood yesterday.
I just discovered that Thomas Hardy's heart is buried in Dorset, and his body in Westminster Abbey. So maybe not the same Thomas Hardy. Oh well, still allowed for some poet research. The man had some good quotes.

Today. I'm sick, and I never get sick.
"And yet to a bad there is worse" ~Thomas Hardy
My head was pounding all day, my tired eyes hardly met anyone else's. The language barrier I often smile and work through with residents was higher than ever, and a mob of Italians thought it wise to bring their screaming children to the hostel. When sickness hits, homesickness is at its worst. I woke up from a 4-hour afternoon nap craving Egg Drop Soup, the chinese food my mom always gave us when we were ill. Alas, I found no Egg Drop Soup in the area...it must be an American Chinese thing. So I walked down the street and bought some soup and Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia. It called out to me with its "U.S. Recipe" promotion on the front...I want anything that tastes like home right now.

Keane tomorrow night at ISH, and Edward Scissorhands on Wednesday if the ticket price drops to 10 pounds. Then a night out with some ISHers on Thursday, staff party Friday, fellow BUNACer's bday Saturday, then before I know it, Tuesday will be here with Adam. I can hardly wait for it...

"A lover without indiscretion is no lover at all." -Thomas Hardy



2 comments:

Kelsey said...

Keane? They are great. You'll like them, if you don't already.

I hope your sickness goes away before Adam comes!
<3

ah said...

we have both been sparse lately. hope your time with adam is/was memorable. enjoy your remaining months! how was keane!? happy new year kelly!